Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
Fish:
I'm not familiar with the large format Altec compression drivers but I assume they can go lower than the 1" Altec drivers.
Do they also roll off higher?
I have another Lansing system with a 2" Ti fram (2445) in my basement and that driver also rolls off considerably above 10K, if that is any comparision.
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
Actually 2445 is a 4" fram, 2 inch throat...
I think the small JBL's are 1 3/4" same as Altec, is that true?
Bear in mind, there are several different Altec bigger drivers...best is the 288 G/H they do better than the 2445 IMHO.
Yikes - an icepick to the forehead!
I have a several pairs of Ti frams in systems stacked around in and around the house.
Wow, I suppose every time I listen to them from this point forward, I will ask myself if I am getting the full ice pick to the forehead treatment.
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
Could be worse, Cerwin Vegas have a peak around Low Bottom E.:p
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
On another Lansing forum, the ice pick to the forehaed sydrome was explored and one respondent suggested that the person describing this treatment of Ti frams must have been listening to Kliphornz.
As far as I know, the Klips were manufactured by EV and never had Ti frams: right?
Re: Yikes - an icepick to the forehead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
robertbartsch
I have a several pairs of Ti frams in systems stacked around in and around the house.
Wow, I suppose every time I listen to them from this point forward, I will ask myself if I am getting the full ice pick to the forehead treatment.
Old Guy has a point there. While vacationing in Florida . Every night the hotel manager hired a new band and fired them at the end of the night. They all had JBL set ups. I minded my own business having worked with JBL pro systems in the 70's I noticed how bad these new drivers sounded and I could probably not fix their problem.I felt sorry for them cause with
the old 4530 cabinet and original drivers maybe I could have made it easier on every ones ears.
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
Quote:
Originally Posted by
robertbartsch
On another Lansing forum, the ice pick to the forehaed sydrome was explored and one respondent suggested that the person describing this treatment of Ti frams must have been listening to Kliphornz.
As far as I know, the Klips were manufactured by EV and never had Ti frams: right?
Klipsch used Atlas mids and EV tweets mostly...there were actually Klipsch with western Electric guts way back...imagine what a set of those would be worth...
Note on the JBL forums they never criticize JBL it's always some other company...quoting blatantly prejudiced sources is not always the best way to get accurate info...
What ever you do don't go there and suggest Radian frams sound better in JBL's...they refuse to even consider it...even those who have never heard them...it's just impossible...
Maybe we should change "none so blind" to "None so deaf as they who will not listen"
JBL has done some wonderful things...and a lot are quite satisfied with those drivers...obviously JBL themselves are not, or why would they be making different drivers?
Religious followers are more dangerous usually than the founders of the religions...
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
Quote:
Originally Posted by
robertbartsch
On another Lansing forum, the ice pick to the forehaed sydrome was explored...
That's not exactly how it went down;
[ame="http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25428"]...ever get an ice pick to the forehead? - Lansing Heritage Forums[/ame]
You started a thread there by quoting a member here out of context, who was subsequently called an ignorant idiot.
If you're gonna be a troll take it elsewhere. :(
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
I checked out that thread - sure am glad our folks don't behave like that here. Some of those images were disturbing.
Seriously.
Re: Best sound aluminum or titanium?
Yeh, sometimes it is hard to get an un-biased opinion over there.